Keep planning the future of Utility Connectivity with Private Broadband at the UBBA’s in person meeting in San Antonio.
2020 UBBA Workshop
Monday, January 27, 2020
Join UBBA in person to continue advancing private broadband networks in the utility of the future.
Reserve Your Spot today for the Utility Broadband Alliance Meeting in San Antonio on Monday, January 27. This free meeting furthers the UBBA mission by focusing on grid modernization through the advancement and development of private broadband networks. The single day event offers educational sessions about key project developments, a thought leadership panel on planning a digital grid for ‘the day after tomorrow’, working sessions to continue to strengthen the association and multiple opportunities to network at lunch and in the evening. Some sessions are open to non-members and guests. You’re likely already planning to be in San Antonio, so come learn and shape the future of the Utility Broadband Alliance.
January 27, 2020
8:00 am – 9:30 am: Utilities-only session to discuss matters relative to the organization
9:45 am – 10:50 am: Educational session opened to all UBBA members and non-members (Four UBBA members will give short presentations on relevant projects of interest to UBBA members)
- Anterix: Results from NREL’s evaluation of Utility Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS) and Protection Functions Over Private LTE Communications Network.
- Abstract: At the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, a top priority is ensuring new energy devices can communicate fast and reliably. Anterix has partnered with NREL to analyze the performance of private LTE broadband network and accelerate the development and validation of innovative approaches to enhance the resilience of distribution systems, including microgrids, with high penetration of distributed energy resources (DERs).
- Federated Wireless: Demystifying CBRS for Utility Private LTE.
- Abstract: There has been a lot of talk around CBRS and when it will be ready and could it be used for Utility Applications. Paul Anuszkiewicz from Federated Wireless will Demystify the CBRS landscape (spectrum and eco-system) and provide an overview of its work in the Private LTE space. This will include examples of use cases that are in use today and trials that are going on across the US.
- Tait: Utility Converged Critical Communications.
- Abstract: Looking at Network Architecture Co-Existence LTE and LMR. Dan Draughn from Tait will provide insight into the common challenges all utilities face; Increased system reliability requirements, to lower cost expectations, increase productivity, and improve worker safety, while reducing the total number of wireless systems.
- Cisco: Security Throughout Utility Landscape
- Abstract: In light of the increased geo-political unrest and the corresponding U.S. Dept of Homeland Security CISA Alert “Alert (AA20-006A): Potential for Iranian Cyber Response to U.S. Military Strike in Baghdad”, security is being further scrutinized throughout the utility landscape. Private broadband networks can provide utilities with further control of their cyber infrastructure and resulting reliability. Cisco will briefly review the relevant considerations and benefits in an LTE network.
11:00 am – 12:15 pm: Thought leadership panel
- Preparing for 'the day after tomorrow' digital grid (Moderated by Sharon Allen, VP Innovation SEPA).
This unique panel of forward-thinking utilities, and consumer policy advocates, and technology experts who understand what it will take to support utility modernization for not only tomorrow, but maybe more importantly - the day after tomorrow.
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm: Networking lunch
1:45 pm – 3:00 pm: UBBA member only session
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm: UBBA networking event for members and invited guests